Saturday 25 January 2020

53 - Slow

Having started to watch Home and Away from the start one thing that strikes me is how slow paced these early episodes were, and how little happens. Which I now realise is two things, so in case this turns in to the Spanish Inquisition, I'll stop there. 

Well, I guess it's not really that nothing actually happens, but rather how small the storylines are, and how... ordinary it all is. But everything that happens is seeming to grow organically from the characters, rather than just trying for sensation. 

Some characters work better than others; Lance and Martin are annoying me much more than they ever did when it was first on, and I'm constantly wishing for a swift exit for the pair, despite knowing that they're in it for much longer. And Floss and Neville seem pretty much superfluous. And as I recall they are the first to leave. Well, either them or Lynn. I forget. 

Still, ol' Alf Stewart is still ruling the roost; he's the best thing in the show from the off. He's yet to say the word "flamin'" yet, though. Celia's barely been in it yet as well; it's always such a treat to see the contrast in her character, compared with the other role Fiona Spence is also most known for, Vera "Vinegar Tits" Bennett in Prisoner Cell Block H. 

The same could actually be said of Ray Meagher, as his Alf (general decent good guy) is in complete contrast to his three - yes, three - PCBH roles, all of which were baddies... 

But the core of the show, Tom, Pippa, and the six kids work so very well. Having them as foster parents means there's a decent reason for six such different kids to be under the same roof as each other. It also gives a convenient plot device so that kids can leave, and new kids can arrive and live with them, without a contrivance of a lost relative or an endless parade of nieces or nephews. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop, watching it at a much faster rate than I would have back in the day, and how things change. For example, I can't recall if we had the change in actress playing Pippa before or after Tom died; my gut feeling is Pippa changes, then Tom dies. And then after that she meets Michael. I guess I'll see. 

It'll be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment