Wednesday 15 January 2020

43 - Omens

So I watched the first episode of TV's Good Omens today - it was rather good, though that opening narration was clearly a Douglas Adams homage, wasn't it? It could have come straight out of the guide. Damn good, though. 

I've never read the book. Heck. I've never read any Pratchett, and I've really no idea why. 

Then I saw the documentary afterwards and found it very moving. I almost turned it off very close to the start, as the footage of Pratchett shown then at a point when he was probably close to death. That was the only such footage shown, though. I did come close to shedding a tear or two when Neil Gaiman recounted the story of the last time he saw Terry. Such talk is always tough. 

And it got me to thinking... why have I never read a single Terry Pratchett book, and where do I start? Should I start with the first Discworld book and work through in order? But if the early ones aren't brilliant - as Gaiman himself seemed to suggest - will I get put off? Should I start with Night Watch, which Gaiman said was his best? Or is there a better place to start? 

I dunno...

No comments:

Post a Comment