Saturday 9 January 2021

94 - 4K

 I suppose one day I'll get a 4K telly and a player. I'd been planning on getting a Playstation 5 as the disc based model of that has plays 4K discs, but as is always the case with new games consoles the number produced is significantly lower than the demand for them. And when they've gone on sale, unless you happen to be online for the 37.8 seconds they show up you've got no chance of getting one, especially given that so many are bought up by bots... but that's another post..

I can tell there will be key films and TV shows I'll end up buying again on 4K; I mean, for example, I've bought several copies of the original run of Twin Peaks - VHS, US DVD, UK DVD, Blu-ray... I expect I'll end up with the 4K.

Though at the rate things are going, by the time I've been able to get around to getting 4K they'll start to release 8K stuff...

Oh, imagine how beautiful Twin Peaks would look on 8k...?

Though I guess there will have to come a point where there just can't be any further improvement to picture quality that will be noticeable to the human eye.

Just one more thing about 4K, though; back in the days when we could go to shops, I'd have a meander around the 4K TVs on occasion. More often than not, they were showing demonstration videos of things like wildlife, or city scapes, or some other specially filmed thing to show off the resolution of the TV. I tended to look at this and just think... yeah, that looks good... but what about showing an actual TV show or film? Or even just a compilation showing clips from actual films and TV shows. Then you can see what the stuff you'll actually watch on it will look like so you can see the improvement. And yes, occasionally I've seen such a thing, but it's very much the exception rather than the norm, and only on about two or three TVs out of 30 or 40, so you can't directly compare one with the other... 

I wonder if they'd let me bring pop in the Twin Peaks pilot episode from the single 4K disc from the last Blu-Ray set...? Hmm... now there's an idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment