Friday 15 January 2021

100 - 100

 When you reach a milestone like a hundred posts in a blog (it only took five and a half years) I suppose there's an expectation that the post should be something special, and that it should may be something profound. Or it should look back at the glories of the blog so far... glories... HA!!! 

But, no, this is just a rather ordinary post, which arguably only exists in order fulfil my stretch goal of doing a post every single day this year. I guess I could have tried to plan a specific post for #100, but when I've tried to do this it's not really been successful, and I've only half written posts. I like it better when it's like this, spontaneous, as I know I've got the space to fill before the impending deadline.

Deadlines help to concentrate the mind. They give a bit of a prod to make sure you get something done. Not everyone copes well with deadlines; Douglas Adams used to say that he loved the whooshing sound they made as they passed... me, I find them very useful. I work better with a deadline. If it's all vague; do it when you get around to it, then often it doesn't get done. But if you know something has to be done... it gives you a prod.

When I started this post, I didn't know I would get around to talking about deadlines. It grew, naturally out of what I was writing. I started on one thing, and then digressed to something else. I like it when somebody digresses; it's more interesting, and all... Holden was right about that. 

It's now almost 11 years since JD Salinger died. I could have waited until the 27th to talk about this, but I refer you back to paragraph two. A few years back, 2015, maybe? There was talk that by this sort of time they'd start publishing some of the writing he'd done. Talk of a war story, more from the Glass family, and possibly more of Holden. None of it has yet come to pass. 

Part of me would look forward to something else with more Holden. I mean, I lapped up "You're Crazy", and "Slight Rebellion of Madison", but they were essentially works in progress, which were reworked in to Catcher in the Rye. Holden has a different number of siblings, and in one of them his middle name is revealed... Morisey. No. Really. It is. 

Another part of me thinks that there's no need for anything other than Catcher. It tells the story it needs to tell, briefly, concisely, and with a great deal of wit. There's more crammed in to Catcher than many trilogies of books. It is, to my mind, the best novel ever written, and the second best work of fiction in any medium. So, if there were to be something more, the bar is set very high indeed. 

If there were another Holden book, I can't help but think that I'd end up buying it as soon as it's published, and never actually get around to reading it. I've got form for that! One day, maybe, I'll get around to reading Go Set a Watchman...

You see this pos; it's what happens when somebody digresses... 

No comments:

Post a Comment