Tuesday 5 January 2021

90 - Wisteria

 I think what is exciting me more than anything at the moment is the prospect of a new David Lynch directed, and written, TV series. There are all sorts of murmurings about it. Its initial working title was reported to be Wisteria, though latest stories suggest it's now called Unrecorded Night. 

Both titles don't really give any hint as to what the show's about, which is probably for the best.

There were rumours last year (or was it the year before?) that Lynch had meetings with Netflix, and that both Laura Dern and Naomi Watts were involved. Whether that's linked to this new show is purely speculation... though there has clearly been some deal between Netflix and Lynch as one of his shorts, What Did Jack Do?, appeared on the platform on Lynch's 74th birthday...

There's some speculation that this new show (13 episodes, allegedly) will be some kind of spin off from Twin Peaks. I don't know if this is really the case, as I'd kind of like Mark Frost to be involved in any such spin off, and there's no suggestion he's involved in the project. 

Part of me would love that, but another part thinks that as the third Season of Twin Peaks is as close to perfection as any television show could ever get it would be an ideal place to conclude the show. It is a show that does not give up its answers easily, and very much rewards repeat viewing; everything you need to know is on the screen, but it's far from obvious what everything means.

A new show, with new characters, and new situations would mean the show doesn't have to live up to the reputation of its predecessor, or have any concern as to whether it fits in with it. I would rather like to sink in to a new Lynch created world.

I suspect, as with all things, stories will start to spread as to what it's about. Part of me would like to tune in to episode one knowing nothing about the show, allowing it to unfold in front of me, discovering each moment as it happens. That sense of mystery... and of discovery... the prospect thrills me. 

I can't wait. But I have to...

And is it wrong of me to hope that once production of this finishes, Netlix gives Lynch all the money he needs to make, at last, Ronnie Rocket...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment