Monday 1 March 2021

145 - La

 I guess perhaps the hardest thing about re-watching Russell T Davies' latest TV show, It's A Sin, is that you know all the twists and turns already, so you anticipate what's coming and start to well up about impending unfortunate events before they happen. 

The thing is, though, it doesn't diminish the show's power, in fact it probably enhances it. 

And upon re-watching it, I am even firmer in my opinion that it's the best thing he's ever done. Especially part five, which is truly stunning, from Keeley Hawes stalking the hospital corridors, to Ritchie's "It was fun" speech, to the punch in the guts that follows, it's TV that absolutely tears you apart. 

'Cos by the time you get to part five you're so invested in these characters that you don't want the inevitable to happen... but of course it does. 

Part of me thinks I may end up thinking it may be the best British TV drama ever made, but Our Friends in the North is so embedded in my psyche that it'll be hard for it to be topple off its perch. 

Oh...  

No comments:

Post a Comment